Friday, September 09, 2005

A real quick story about Gladys down the block

A real quick story about Gladys down the block:

I'm not sure how old exactly Gladys was, but she was definately in the mid to high 90's. And right up until the day she died (massive heart attack) as healthy as a horse. Worked in the yard every day, did all her own cooking and housecleaning. A model specimen.

But about a year ago we invited her over to dinner, and she had to cancel because she was under the weather. Which was unusual. When she felt better a few days later we had that dinner, and she apologized profusely for having to cancel. "That's just not like me at all," she said. "I'm never sick."

She paused for a minute, and then said "No, that's not true. I got sick a year or so after brother came home from the war. But other than that, no problems."

I thought about it for a second and then asked her "would that be the Spanish Influenza of 1919 you're referring to?"

"Yep," she confirmed. "I got a little sick then."

-Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home