Thursday, September 08, 2005

We took the baby to Savannah this past weekend

We took the baby to Savannah this past weekend to see the grandparents. Coming through Columbia on the way home we passed the worst AC Cobra replica I have ever seen. It was so bad that until I passed it and saw the grille I wasn't entirely sure what it was supposed to be a replica of. Calling this car a "replica" is actually a compliment--"crude pastiche" seems more appropriate. It looked like someone had taken a Cobra body and stretched it to make it fit a Ford F-150 chassis. The wheelbase was too long, the track was too wide, the wheelarches too blistered...it was horrible.

It truly offended me, this atrocious Cobra replica, and I said as much to Alice. Several times, in fact. There are so many "good" Cobra replica kits on the market, why on earth would someone design--much less buy--a bad one? When we went to China last year, there was a guy selling counterfeit Louis Vuitton bags around the corner from our hotel in Beijing for 40 yuan--about $5. Alice bought one that she swore would fool anyone, and I believe her because she's got an eye for that kind of stuff. But half of the bags even I could tell were knockoffs. But he was selling just as many of those as the "good" ones. Why?

I don't really have a point here, no insight that explains it all. I'm truly stumped.

-Andy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog - also agreed very much with your thoughts on the Boy Who Heard Music blog.

Spot on.

cheers

Ryan

1:26 PM, September 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home